I think the term ossuary can refer to a box or a place where such boxes are
kept.
Two years ago I went to my family village, Porto Formoso on Sao Miguel. We
went to the cemetery to find out what we could find out. The man there,
quite a character, showed us a bone box. What they did was bury someone in
a temporary grave, until only the skeleton was left. They they removed the
bones from the grave, so they could re-use the grave, and put the bones in
a bone box (an ossuary). This was to save space. In the Holy Land you can
see ossuaria or ossuarium, where many such bone boxes are kept.
Hope this helps.
Michael