  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of neil
Sent: 08 January 2008 15:17
To: backstage-developer@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: [backstage-developer] RSS Sliders

We've been developing a prototype interface element for the BBC which we'd
like to release to the Backstage developer community for feedback and
improvements.

http://projects.hinterland.nu/bbc/sliders

It's a simple slider widget which allows for four RSS feeds to be mixed down
into a single list. Two sliders are used, the first to mix two pairs of
feeds into two lists, and the second to mix the two lists together.

..

The focus is on the BBC website's 'Where I Live' section, and the aim is to
allow users to easily choose a balance of News and Local Features, as well
as balancing the mix between two counties.

Stories are given a value based on their order within the feed, and as the
slider moves across, low value stories from one list drop off, to be
replaced by high value stories from the new list.

Questions include: Is this intuitive? Does the data shift as you might
expect? Are two sliders too complex? Is a slider appropriate here, or should
something else be used? Is the sorting algorithm right? What should we do
about duplicate entries?

..

The application is in two parts, a Perl script which consumes RSS feeds
(using XML::FeedPP) and generates an embedded JSON array containing the
stories from all four sources and their rank.

Secondly there is a Javascript function to combine and generate the list(s)
visible on the page. Since the time course of 'News' and 'Local Features'
differ so widely [news changing by the minute, features dating back weeks]
it was not possible to elegantly rank the lists strictly on their
publication date - instead we chose to simply score them according to their
rank position in the original feed.

In this prototype the source feeds are hard-coded into the script - however
this could easily be changed to use an external list. Unfortunately the BBC
does not have a very RESTful interface to their local features XML, with no
consistency in the URL format there is no simple programatic way to access
all the BBC regions.