there are program codes, series codes and episode codes. The best answer to
your original question I can think of, is to use rss feeds to get episode
codes from program codes, then use iplayer to play them. I don't know if it
is still possible to reference a program with a code and automatically get
the most recent show. It should be using rss feeds, but that will take some
programming know how.