Davy - yes, I think there is a real opportunity here for something.
I'm imagining a
ping server for FAS data. There is open source java code for a ping
server, I bet we could trivially mod it to work for FAS data. If we
could put this up and provide a front end (very very simple thing,
just a list of all the annotation streams that have updated in the
last n minutes)...

What do you think? Do you have any server resources that we could use?
If not, I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on something.

BTW, note that the annotationURI i the annotationStream tag is meant
to point to a specification for the annotations in the <annotation>
node, not a pointer to the actual
file. In otherwords, you need to have a mood annotation specification
somewhere (e.g. stating that negative means bad, positive means good
and 0 means neutral). The way
URIs work is that they don't have to actually resolve to something,
they just have to *mean* something. However, it is far more convenient
if the URI points to an actual document that states the spec.

I will work on something more formal as a definition.

MattH