Looks awesome.

Suppose you create the chapter's for the file, is the intention that this can be made available for download and perhaps combine to use the ID3 v2 "CHAP" Chapters? Is the idea to also allow for multiple sets of meta data to exist for the same audio stream (e.g. one user may annotate a collection of similar songs whilst another may annotate for individual songs) and if so is the intention to build the audio file in real-time and attach the user-defined chapters to the file using something like the ID3v2 specs? Another aspect would be the breaking of content in that when you create an annotation the system breaks the audio into those component chunks and you could then select from many different annotations and build a single customised audio file.
The project looks really cool, lots of potential - well done.

Jim.

Jem Stone wrote:

In case you've not seen it Tom has posted some mock ups, notes and
screen shots of the BBC Radio and Music teams annotatable audio
prototype/project. It looks like some fascinating ways for users to
contribute, add context and leave traces on audio files/radio
programmes...

http://www.plasticbag.org/archives/2005/10/on_the_bbc_annotatable_audio_project.shtml
Tom explains the context behind it..

"An on-demand archive is going to make the number of choices available
to a given individual at any point almost completely unmanageable. And
then there's the user-generated content - the amateur and
semi-professional creations, podcasts and the like that are
proliferating across the internet. In the longer term there are
potentially billions of these media creators in the world. All of this
choice, however, creates some significant problems - how on earth are
people expected to navigate all of this content?"

This, as Tom (Loosemore) is one of the challenges we are most looking
at, at the BBC as we increasingly provide more of our programming and
archive online...:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/msg00949.html

The ideas expressed in the annotatable prototype (and the way its been
implemented by several of Tom's team)  is fascinating stuff. We'd be
really keen to see any feedback or leave comments on Tom's blog on
your thoughts on this.

This was Tom's last project for the BBC. I know he subscribes to this
list. We'll really miss him. He was a frequent visitor, supporter and
critic! (in a good way) of Backstage. Good luck with Yahoo!...

ta
Jem