On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:22:53 +0000
Richard Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/13/05, Adam Leach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This is a bigger problem as iMP is using standard Microsoft WMA DRM
> > files.  As this is widely used, there are more people interested in
> > bypassing the DRM system, and so eventually it will always be bypassed,
>
> Fair enough

DRM is a waste of time IMHO , the time would be better spent working out
a revenue model that allowed free delivery of content .

> > plus its created by Microsoft.
>
> Right.  Could someone explain to me exactly why this is a problem?
> Widely used, so an obvious target for bypassing - yes, I'll go along
> with that.  "Created by Microsoft" - no, that's not a problem.  Had
> you said "Created by Microsoft and has inherent security flaws as
> <whoever>", then yes, that would be a valid point.  Simply slating
> something because it's created by one manufacturer is not.  I might
> not like Volvo cars, but I don't feel the need to slag off the airbag
> at every possible vaguely related opportunity.

er , you 'forgot' the lockins where its very hard / illegal for users of
other systems to gain access to documents / media produced by M$ formats
and don't get me started on the forced upgrades for profit stuff either.

That is enough for me and a growing number of people to ignore microsoft
formats out of hand. Try standing up for a company people like instead.

Toodle-pip
Amias