>From P Edwards (Monday, November 27, 2006 11:19 PM):

> I think it is pretty laughable :-)
>
> I am very happy to pay for quality and expensive programming,
> but being censored from the same, just because of a legal
> precedent, is almost the ultimate insult, especially if one
> does have a UK TV license.
> In my hallucination, it should take one person within
> Auntie's legal department about a month to change the
> contracts for content production, add some budget for servers
> and bandwidth, to make the biggest change to how the BBC
> works since radio gave way to black and white TV.

Probably less time, but I guess the problems isn't that the Beeb can't find the
time for contract-updating. I imagine every recording has associated contracts
and releases, and often after the initial broadcast and an agreed number of
re-broadcastings, the artist release evaporates, and the rights revert to the
performers.

> I can hear the voices of resistance still. There is absolutely no reason not
> to....

Hosting all that media, not to mention distributing it at a reasonable rate, is
not going to be cheap.

> So where exactly did all this "locking out" and streaming
> certain content to certain places come from? Big brother? :-)

It certainly annoyed me when in Cologne: I could watch Planet Earth but not the
website. On the other hand, I would be more annoyed if, after paying my TV
Tax/Licence, I couldn't watch the website because the bandwidth is consumed by
people outside the UK who don't pay for it.  Maybe that's selfish of me :)

> How about leading the way with both feet in to a new world of
> a really universal BBC on the net, with none of the
> boundaries? The opposite to the TV world.

To be fair, it is the British Broadcasting Corporation, not Universal ;)
Flippant, but I do think that it is not the job of the British Broadcasting
Corporation to be addressing the world (save the World Service, World news
channel): rather, shouldn't Auntie be taking care of broadcasting to the
British people?

> I'm sure that a way could be programmed to reverse Psiphon or
> the like, with something like real-time P2P to distribute the
> feeds via a massive server of "trusted" associates, now that
> would be exciting.

Doesn't P2P tend to distribute the lowest common denominator? So it'd still be
hard to find my little history documentaries online.

> I'll pay and deliver, how's that? I hope that the future is
> MAC addresses, not IP's.

It's much easier to spoof a MAC address than an IP address, though.

Lee "I rather like Mark Thompson" Goddard
Not a BBC Employee....