I must agree with the Flickr fans.

In my opinion if it's;
        RESTian
        Standardised
        Well documented
        Choice of output formats (JSON, YAML, XML etc.)
        An open wiki to supplement the docs
It'll do for me.

Will the BBC require developer keys or authentication?.

Gareth Rodger

W: http://www.garethrodger.com
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 6 Dec 2006, at 12:58, Neil Roberts wrote:

>>which API's have you used which were a joy to use and why?

I really like the flickr because they offer a simple api for non- techies in the form of the badge, which even my dad can use (this is a man they type with one finger and that's not one finger on each hand but just one finger).

This makes the content really accessible which is important.

And on the other end of the spectrum they offer api's that for the true developer that allow you to achieve things like this
http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/06/08/index4a_page2.html

For me this is awesome becuse it not only shows their content up in a good light. It promotes flickr and can inform their service development; all things that I think backstage is trying to do for the BBC.

Important things that I have found useful but may not fall into the realm of api for some people is:

For the novice:
Restful/guessable/hackable URLs
A range of simple standard RSS feeds
Examples and easy to use interfaces eg: flickr badge

For the not so novice:
Parameterised RSS feeds
HTTP implemention is always good but the technology in my opinion should be the one that can be used by the most people. Good documentation and often the best documentation is not found on the providers site but on people's blogs, so making the documentation an open wiki would help.

neil