>Tom Loosemore wrote:
>> if you want to play in private, and you're  feeling quite hardcore,
>> you *could* extract the subtitles from a DVB-S MPEG2 stream (aka a
>> satellite stream) where they're still in there somewhere as ASCII. On
>> DTT (Freeview) the subtitles are transmitted as bitmaps, so are hard
>> to get-at (a friend tried to OCR them out, and Failed with a capital
>> F)

>Or, of course, it's fairly easy to extract them from old fashioned
teletext.

I did that years ago with my BBC 'B'!

OK, if it not possible to provide the feeds (for copyright reasons) could
the BBC do the 'Google Book search' thing and provide a search facility?

A search that, on providing a keyword would identify the channel, time and
perhaps program name and the sentence that it came from.  I'm thinking that
I could have a gadget that I type keywords into and it updates every time
the word is mentioned on the telly.

I can't help wondering why the Microsoft system which does a voice
recognition on the broadcasts as they happen would be OK, but for the BBC to
provide the data would be (as Cartman says) "wrong".

--
 From the North, this is Kirk