(http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/17/0113235 )
> has shown the  benifits of FLOSS, why can't the BBC monolith move to
an open
> development system? Surely the BBC should lead the way in opening up
it's internal
> proprietary junk, after all as a licence fee payer I've already paid
for it, and not
> only am I willing to test it, I'm willing to submit bugs via an open
bug tracking
> system a la bugzilla, and maybe even develop for it. What with the new
licence fee
> settlement, it's a cheaper and better way to get things done.
Personally the engine
> that's used in sports\celeb daq is something else I'd like to use.

The BBC has made quiet steps towards open-sourcing things -
see http://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/

However one of the problems with open sourcing is that a lot of the
BBC's applications are built very specifically for the architecture and
infrastructure used by the BBC, which is not your average LAMP setup :)
I think the problem is that getting applications into a state where they
can be outsourced, is often a major task in itself - I'm sure we
wouldn't get much thanks if we did release apps that were a mess and
completely awful to install.  Hence why what's been opensourced so far,
is often the little pieces - easy to prepare.