If that's you in the background going WHAT?!, I wholeheartedly agree with
your sentiments.

The whole point of the BBC, at least to me, is that as it's insulated to an
extent from wider market forces, that is what gives it the freedom to
innovate to a greater extent and spend more on R&D, to bring those
innovations to market and help develop the standards more than many other
broadcasters. The public service remit is unique in that it's looking out
for the consumer, not just the broadcaster, and if he doesn't see that (or
he's been put off by the meagre output of BBC America, which is a separate
branch of the Beeb anyway, right?) then he's a bit of an idiot. And here's
me thinking he actually had a bit of nouse when it comes to future tech...

Arrington should stick to reporting on indie Web 2.0 startups and leave
criticism or appraisal of the BBC and its output to people who get a use
from it - us crazy embracers know a good thing when we see it (and I for one
gladly pay that license fee!)

I absolutely _LOVE_ that pregnant pause after your man explains about the
Public Value Test. Arrington didn't see that one coming. :D