Yes - you could charactarise the US way of working as a way of
maximising ad revenue from a the diminishing halo of a brand, regardless
of whether creatively the project is still vigorous. Or, in plainer
language, flogging a dead horse.

Not to say there aren't long runs of UK stuff. My Family, for example -
a consistently excellent sitcom. Two Pints, hugely popular, long
running, long series.

But, you know, US tech bloggers, experts in UK comedy TV commissioning
patterns, aren't they?