I fully respect Andrew's point of view as written below, but - with
respect - I struggle to agree with it.

Years ago, before PCs and printers, if people wanted anything copied they
had to go to the local shop or library where they could use a photocopier.
Today, they just use their own scanners and printers to make their own
copies. Similarly, people used to have to send their film off for printing,
but these days lots of people have digi cameras and their own home photo
printers.

If something is technologically possible, people will use it. We can't hold
back time. Lots of businesses and industries disappear - a kind of natural
selection. Good business diversify and develop into new products and
markets.

In any event, the DVD rental store it going to be put out of business anyway
by content being delivered over the net. Or should that also be stopped?

Yes, the industry model we have NOW may lose out on some sales, but there is
no reason why it can't develop and make a good profit using other
distribution channels and business models. I think we're in danger of trying
to deal with 21st century technology with 19th century thinking and laws.