Richard Lockwood wrote:

This is the argument that always crops up: "Use a different business
model".  I've yet to hear someone come up with a workable one.  Giving
the end product away - and allowing everyone else to do the same - is
*not* a workable business model.

I wonder if there really is that much of a workable business model for entertainment anyway, even if we constrain ourselves to 20th century entertainment technologies. While some people have made a lot of money, it's rarely the artists and a lot of that money is made by very sharp accounting practices (ie, Hollywood Accounting). Lord Of The Rings has been mentioned - look at the arguments between Peter Jackson and New Line for an example of the artist not getting his fair share (or at least not feeling that he is getting his fair share). There's a book on the music industry (whose name escapes me, I can look it up if anyones interested) that goes into some detail on how dubious an industry it is. I even knew someone who was once in a band that got signed, sent to the Bahamas to make a record and then the record was never released, and when they asked why, they were told that they were being used as a writeoff (which is exactly one of the sorts of practices mentioned in the book).

I think it's this fundamental lack of a real business model that's driving the calls for DRM - the entertainment industry's business model is mostly smoke and mirrors, and easy copying takes away some of the mirrors.

Scot