... That are totally reliant on the willingness of each individual higher
education institution to implement multicast on their own internal networks
to enable the functionality of the wider ja.net network as a whole.

I think the whole situation boils down to the simple fact that it's just not
cost-effective enough for most service providers to actually implement
multicast, so they don't bother. Which is really annoying, because it's
really holding back the takeup of IPTV imho. That, and the unfortunate
situation most ISPs have whereby they're burdened with BT's prohibitive
pricing structure, to boot.

The mobile phone trial isn't multicast, is it?