On 4/10/07, Christopher Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As far as I understand it, it was more a case of the BBC (and ITV)
trialing
broadcasting via the multicast infrastructure

Cough - Virgin Radio has been running multicast trials with the BBC for a
long while too.
http://www.virginradio.co.uk/about_us/technology_services/multicast/
Our trials are fully open, so please do come along and play.

Similarly, GCap Media (Capital Radio, Classic FM, etc) are also
multicasting. They do it automatically: if you're on a multicast network,
you'll get the multicast version automatically if you visit
www.capitalradio.com and listen using their embedded Windows Media Player
thing, if you wanted to dissect the ASX file it gives you. We (Virgin) don't
do that yet, only because I was unhappy at the delay it added to our tuning
process - I may try again shortly.

Here's the current issues:

1. The ISPs need to upgrade their stuff - or turn things on. Zen, for
example, is a nice, small, clever, internet company so switching multicast
on is pretty simple. BT is a huge, complicated, scary internet company, so
switching multicast on is hugely complicated.

2. Your company or university needs to upgrade their stuff. Given that the
main benefit for multicasting is from the broadcaster right now (there's no
content that you couldn't otherwise get) and that multicasting is not vital
for business, it's difficult to see why companies would upgrade. For
example, Virgin Radio's own network is not multicast-enabled (so I have no
way of listening to our swizzy 192k Windows Media streams).

3. You (yes, you) need to upgrade your stuff too. Your router, your wireless
network, all of that stuff needs fiddling with to work with multicast. Even
your software firewall. This isn't for the faint-of-heart right now.

To give an example of how complicated all of this can get, try looking at
www.opendns.com which is a (recommended) alternative DNS service for you to
use instead of your slow, dull, ISP's version. Changing a DNS server address
is pretty easy to do for us techies, but you still need acres of
instructions - try http://www.opendns.com/start/home_network.php for one
page. It's a nightmare. And remember that DNS is supported by all ISPs -
multicast certainly isn't.

So why do we care about multicast? Well, as the internet continues to grow,
it'll become rapidly difficult if not impossible to serve millions of
unicast streams to people - particularly with television. It won't just be
bad for us broadcasters, it'll be bad for ISPs, and therefore bad for
consumers. We need multicast to succeed: it's vital for the future of
broadcasting over the internet.

I think we all agree that closed trials are rather pointless; but my view
(as an outsider) is that the BBC does have good reasons for that, as well as
a wish to change this as soon as they are able.

--
http://james.cridland.net/