Indeed, it's something I as a music tech student have both seen myself and
have been told by tutors - and it makes sense. I remember putting up with
dodgy projections in cinemas because the sound was alright, but the one time
I was watching one of the Pirates films and the centre speaker started
pumping out 20kHz digital distortion my head felt like it was going to
explode.

What DAB radio do you have? I'm lucky enough to have a (still-operational!)
Wavefinder, which is literally 100% digital signal path until the output
stage - directly sends the raw MPEG stream to the PC which decodes it and
plays it back which is going through my monitors (speakers, not screens ;)
and I can _definitely_ tell the difference between FM and digital, even if I
do nothing more than hook up my MP3 player to my line level input on my
audio interface.

I've heard digital artefacts on Radio 3 on DAB. If we're ever going to turn
off analogue, that problem HAS to be fixed. Also, the issues of compressing
already-compressed material, the way commercial stations just send their
FM-processed signal to the digital encoder without changing it... Plus the
technical limitations of MPEG Layer-2 to boot. I think half the problem is
that the vast majority of people don't have a decent setup for listening to
their radio - and the stations they listen to don't really value preserving
the quality of the source audio above making it the LOUDEST on the dial and
getting listener figures. The BBC is uniquely positioned to spearhead the
charge against the loss of quality in radio broadcasting, including the
preservation of quality in their broadcasts. The Beeb shouldn't be pushed
into putting more and more services on their already strained multiplexes by
commercial expectations, because they'll never achieve the kind of quality
they had on launch if they carry on doing that.

These little portable DAB radios are both great and awful for the industry,
and for quality standards in general. People don't expect the quality, the
quality will disappear.