Oh look, a letter signed by students and other ne'er-do-wells.

"Me-me-me-me-me - I WANT IT, give it me for NOTHING!!!  Then let me
copy it and do what I want with it - let me make money off the back of
it - FOR NOTHING!!!"

While DRM is not an ideal solution, the comments in that letter are
frankly unhelpful, and in many cases, bollocks.

1.  "DRM doesn't work".  Hmm...  Well, yes.  It will prevent most
non-geek users making personal copies, but in the long term is
unlikely to prevent determined large-scale piracy.  OK.  Give you that
one.

2.  "DRM strips consumers of their rights"  Eh?  Private study, copies
of reasonable length, blah blah blah...  If you contact the BBC and
ask nicely, they'll give you a copy on video or audio tape of pretty
well any *BBC Owned* content from the last fifty years - it they've
got it.  My mate Tony got a copy of an episode of Crackerjack from
1979 that he was on.  He asked, and they sent him a copy.  DRM does,
on the other hand, make an attempt to stop people copying the content
on an industrial scale, and selling it on.  (Whether this works is a
moot point - see above)

3. "DRM directly violates the BBC Royal Charter"  Really?  Let's look
at how it "violates the Royal Charter"...  "promoting education and
learning", "stimulating creativity and cultural excellence", and
"bringing the UK to the world".  Yes - the BBC is doing all this by
providing the content in the first place, where's the problem?  Oh -
hang on, now I see.  "It stifles creativity by trying to make even
incidental remixing impossible."  Where, exactly, is "incidental
remixing" covered in the Royal Charter?  Why should the BBC allow me
to mash up an Angela Rippon voiceover with footage of the Nurenburg
Rallies in order for me to use it to "educate" members of my (wholly
ficticious) extreme right-wing political party?  Or use any BBC copy
in ways that might go directly against the Royal Charter - "cultural
excellence" probably doesn't cover putting a death metal soundtrack
over episodes of Swap Shop and uploading it to YouTube.  The content's
there - the Royal Charter doesn't say "copy until you run out of
DVDs", does it?  Next.

4. "DRM is a poor business decision"  Maybe.  Why not apply for a job
at the BBC then?  Maybe in the "Making Business Decisions" department.
If you were so bloody clever you'd have advised BT not to use that
piper logo, wouldn't you?  But that wouldn't have allowed you to
pirate all the DVDs you wanted and make money on the back of someone
else's work, would it?  And that's only finding holes in the title of
this section.  The actual content makes no sense - it's just repeating
and rehashing rhetoric and bleating from open-sourcers about "Oh, the
BBC isn't providing its copy in a format *I* can use.  MEMEME!!!
LISTEN TO MEEE!!!!"

5.  "The industry has ditched it".  Really?  What industry?  "The
Industry"  "The Government"  BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!!  Being
sensible for a while, no, "the industry" hasn't "ditched" it.  Apple
hasn't ditched it, Microsoft hasn't ditched it, Napster hasn't ditched
it. "...large media outlets will soon offer DRM-free content or
already offer it"  OK - they offer it.  Or they *will* offer it soon.
So...  they're exploring alternatives to DRM.  GOOD!!!  They're being
sensible, and - listen now - exploring alternatives to DRM which was a
short termist, knee jerk reaction to the possibilities offered by
cheap, quick and effective digital copying solutions.  Rather than
demanding that the whole system be immediately scrapped because a
bunch of students (most of whom aren't actually license payers, being
in Kuala Lumpar or Pigsknuckle, Arkansaidiao - which shoots down
*that* argument) don't like it and want everything for free.  (See the
"ME ME ME ME MEEEEE!!!!!" notes above)

Remember, the BBC does not have all the commercial and copyright
rights to everything it shows.  There has to be some kind of
compromise, and we should all try to work towards a better solution,
not a luddite "SMASH THE SYSTEM!" shout akin to that of Class War
circa 1982.  "Free" is never going to work.  (See Lockwood Rants
passim)

Phew.

Cheers,

Rich.