On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 10:19 +0100, Mr I Forrester wrote:
> I've been thinking about products and services like this for a while,
> and want to ponder this question to the backstage community...
>
> We've been talking about how DRM doesn't work, etc in other posts. Well
> lets just say for this thread that DRM doesn't work and it just turns
> consumers into against the content holder.
>
> ...What happens next?

Nothing. We get a clue, stop making life hard for honest consumers, and
after a while we realise that the sky _didn't_ actually fall on our
head.

Only a few years ago, the BBC renegotiated its contract with BSkyB to
_remove_ DRM from its satellite broadcasts. That's why I can receive BBC
content on my DVB-S card without having to muck about with a Dragon CAM
and a Solus card. Well done, BBC. At least _then_ you had a clue.

I think the whole discussion about alternative business models and even
philosophical discussions about the nature of copyright are irrelevant
and counterproductive. You don't need to be a revolutionary to observe
that DRM is worthless and causes far more pain to consumers than the
supposed benefits it actually achieves. And if you get distracted into
'revolutionary' talk like that, then you just give ammunition to the
muppets who respond to anti-DRM arguments with Ad Hominem nonsense about
"students and ne'er-do-wells".

--
dwmw2