On 16/06/07, Michael Sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Platform neutrality means it should not favour any one specific system.

That's not what platform neutral means. It means it shouldn't favour
any specific system or systems.

If there was a war between 4 nations, (called A, B, C, D) would you
consider fighting with nations A and B as being neutral?

There are several ways to achieve this. You've discounted several however
claiming they're not platform neutral, so I'll leave my response there.

I discounted things that did not meet defined objectives based on
recognised definitions of the words "platform" (in the computing
context) and "neutral".
I really don't see how you can claim "choosing a few platforms" is neutral.

If you would like to point out how selecting a few platforms and not
selecting other platforms is neutral be my guest.

unless you are suggesting that iPlayer should run on a ZX81

I'm thinking lack of colour and sound support could be a problem.

However if a spec was provided it wouldn't be the BBC saying "no we
won't allow it on the ZX81", they will be allowing it on any platform.
If no one can actually get it to work on the platform then that is a
problem with the platform.

Unless the BBC provides specifications it can not be implemented on
all platform's and would not be neutral as it is only selecting a
subset of platforms.

Which of the methods I discounted did you think would provide platform
neutrality? I thought I provided reasons for them.

Implementing it on all platforms - in practical too many platforms,
BBC may not even know all the platforms.

Using a Virtual Machine - the VM would be the platform, it would not
be neutral as it only runs on specific platforms, namely the VM
itself.

Which part of which one of those do you disagree with?
Or do you disagree with my definition of "platform neutral"?

Andy

--
SELECT * FROM remarks WHERE witty=1 LIMIT 1