On 25/06/07, Andrew Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

                > The Act also states:
                > > (5) In performing their duty under this section of
furthering the
                > > interests of consumers,  OFCOM must have regard, in
                > particular, to the
                > > interests of those consumers in respect of choice,
price,
                > quality of service and value for money.
                > > http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/30021--b.htm
                > Notice how choice is listed first. And notice how the
BBC
                > have removed choice. Is it not OFCOM's duty to correct
this,
                > so as to further the interests of consumers, and also
further
                > the interests of citizens, (it's duties as defined by
the Act)?

                Does it define what "choice" means?  Because choice
could be interpreted
                to mean many things.

        I can certainly see that "choice" could certainly be defined as
"having a selection from more than one" without using a lawyer.

But that's entirely my point.  The definition of "choice" some people on
this list will use, will not necessarily be the one Ofcom believes is
the correct one.

Like I say, choice is subjective.  I remain interested in hearing what
Ofcom's response is on the matter.

Could choice in this matter mean that iPlayer is available in one
configuration on a TV, and also through a cable set top box?  One
product.  Choice of methods.

        In iPlayer terms, as a vertical integrated product (MS WMV+MS
DRM+KDM+MS IE+backend) it is BY DEFINITION "not a choice" as gules
several systems together and only lets you use a specific configutation.

For example, it could be deemed to be a requirement for a service to be
used - no different to saying if you want a DTT box, you need a DVB-T
box.

Yes.  I'm playing devil's advocate here.  Because nothing in life
(especially law) is ever black and white.