On 25/06/07, Andrew Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 25/06/07, Andrew Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > The Act also states:
> > > (5) In performing their duty under this section of furthering the
> > > interests of consumers,  OFCOM must have regard, in
> > particular, to the
> > > interests of those consumers in respect of choice, price,
> > quality of service and value for money.
> > > http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/30021--b.htm
> > Notice how choice is listed first. And notice how the BBC
> > have removed choice. Is it not OFCOM's duty to correct this,
> > so as to further the interests of consumers, and also further
> > the interests of citizens, (it's duties as defined by the Act)?
>
> Does it define what "choice" means?  Because choice could be interpreted
>
> to mean many things.

I can certainly see that "choice" could certainly be defined as "having a
selection from more than one" without using a lawyer.

But that's entirely my point.  The definition of "choice" some people on
this list will use, will not necessarily be the one Ofcom believes is the
correct one.

Like I say, choice is subjective.  I remain interested in hearing what
Ofcom's response is on the matter.

 Could choice in this matter mean that iPlayer is available in one
configuration on a TV, and also through a cable set top box?  One product.
Choice of methods.

If the iPlayer did that then there would be choice!

 In iPlayer terms, as a vertical integrated product (MS WMV+MS DRM+KDM+MS
IE+backend) it is BY DEFINITION "not a choice" as gules several systems
together and only lets you use a specific configutation.

For example, it *could* be deemed to be a requirement for a service to be
used - no different to saying if you want a DTT box, you need a DVB-T box.

Yes.  I'm playing devil's advocate here.  Because nothing in life
(especially law) is ever black and white.

No, because the DVB-T standard is open and anyone can build hardware or
software to it.  MS DRM and KDM are not open standards, and anything that
glues standards together to create a vertically integrated product is, by
definition, only the choice of Hobson.

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
www.ukfree.tv