On 02/07/07, Christopher Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It is partially P2P... It's the nature of the Kontiki client. You download
content and it comes primarily off the BBC servers, but I've noticed
connections to other peers whilst downloading content. I've also noticed
Kontiki uploading content to other peers when it's just been sitting idle
(and it doesn't matter whether the iPlayer library app is sitting in the
tray or not loaded, the khost and kservice services run 24/7 unless you
manually kill them).

Not something I really care about, but for people on limited bandwidth
plans
it's an issue - something I raised on the forums, suggesting a "do not use
my connection to upload to peers" or similar in the Kontiki app (can't
remember my exact wording now), or at least a funtion to disable the P2P
nature of the platform.

The cost of licence fee payer's bandwidth being used for uploading was
calculated by Ofcom and used and approved by the BBC Trust .. I think they
made out it was about 10p a month...  they didn't compute CPU time, just
bandwidth costs.

They are partially right... ;)

visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  Unofficial