On 02/07/07, Gordon Joly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 19:49 +0100 2/7/07, Christopher Woods wrote:
>It is partially P2P... It's the nature of the Kontiki client. You
download
>content and it comes primarily off the BBC servers, but I've noticed
>connections to other peers whilst downloading content. I've also noticed
>Kontiki uploading content to other peers when it's just been sitting idle
>(and it doesn't matter whether the iPlayer library app is sitting in the
>tray or not loaded, the khost and kservice services run 24/7 unless you
>manually kill them).
>
>Not something I really care about, but for people on limited bandwidth
plans
>it's an issue - something I raised on the forums, suggesting a "do not
use
>my connection to upload to peers" or similar in the Kontiki app (can't
>remember my exact wording now), or at least a funtion to disable the P2P
>nature of the platform.
>
>They are partially right... ;)

OK. But doesn't that mean the BBC is no longer a *broadcaster* in the
pure sense, and in the sense defined in the BBC Charter and elsewhere?

That's ridiculous.  TCP/IP was deliberately designed as a peer-to-peer
network and NOT a one-to-many broadcast system.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/