~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote:
> where are the easy-to-use tools?
> Ubuntu and Gnome are hardly mainstream...

By 'mainstream', do you mean 'commonplace among computer users'
or 'commonplace among the general public'?

Also, are you conceding that Ubuntu and Gnome are easy to use?

> the most significant issue is that no open source project outside
> possibly wikipedia is truly popular.

I'm confused about what you mean by 'open source project',
since you cite Wikipedia as one and imply that Ubuntu Linux is another.
Are we talking about software, or data, or services, or platforms, or what?

If Wikipedia is an example, then I think a reasonable case can
be made that the Internet is the world's biggest open source
project, and it's pretty mainstream.

Plus, web browsers are pretty easy to use, especially the open source ones.

> NB wikipedia is not an application or tool.

If Wikipedia doesn't count as a tool, how do you define 'tool'?

How about Google?  It's not directly open-source, but it's
built on top of Linux, which is.  Does such an enabling technology
that's in widespread use behind the scenes not count as 'popular'
or 'mainstream' when it's the bedrock of things that are?

> My concern is that because the process does not include users, it is
> difficult for their needs to be met.

Which 'process' are you talking about?

Are you suggesting that software is too important to be left to programmers?
--
Frank Wales [EMAIL PROTECTED]