On 11/6/07, Michael Sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 November 2007 13:34, Brian Butterworth wrote:
> > I suspect that I would personally make them:
> >
> > go.bbc.co.uk/shortcode
>
> The shortcode could then also be embedded in any advertising as a 2D barcode
> meaning someone could just snap a photo of something and have the shortcode
> easily extractable. Which would be quite neat.
>
> You could of course do this today using tinyurl.com and then the 2D barcodes
> could link anywhere, not just the BBC.

I did once spy a large 2D barcode somewhere in the Broadcast Centre -
but it was before the days I had Kaywa Reader on my phone to do
anything useful with it.

I think two issues are being confused a little on this thread, though:

- User-friendly URLs
these generally exist already on websites with their heads screwed on
- either by building a well-designed URL structure (well documented
elsewhere), or judicious use of .htaccess redirects (eg.
bbc.co.uk/sportscotland) where you want an easy deep link, perhaps to
a nasty looking CMS address.

- Short URLs to easy linking to stupidly long URLs
avoids line breaking in emails (such as the BBC example at the top of
the thread), or publishing really really big links as references in
newspapers (as the Guardian frequently do.)
I don't really think that big organisations like the above ought to
have to rely on the likes of tinyurl for this - I'd have a little bit
more confidence blindly clicking on, or typing in, such a link if I
knew the redirect was being hosted by the people referring me to it.
Doing it on their own domain would looks more professional too.

 - martin