Michael,

Thank you for your reply, all very useful info.

On 03/12/2007, Michael Sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Demanding people use the phrase free software rather than open source,
> however, actually makes life harder for release in my experience, not easier
> (not everyone agrees on the definitions of freedom and rights used afterall).

I wasn't aware that I had demanded anything from anyone.

That you would lambaste me for simply choosing one phrase over another
shows more about your own bias than anything else.

I might understand your comment better if I had mindlessly jumped in
on someone else's discussion demanding "proper" use of the term Free
Software. You comment carries the implicit reasoning that Open Source
is the correct term and I was incorrect to use it and incorrect to
address another poster when they incorrectly mis-attributed my
suggestion.

I used the phrase Free Software very purposefully in this situation as
I believe it is more appropriate. Open Source is a development model
that focuses on making the software better, Free Software is a
political model that focuses on making society better.

With my suggestion that the BBC share the source code I was not making
a pragmatic suggestion, a suggestion about how the BBC should alter
it's development model - I really don't think this would ever happen.
I was making a suggestion that the BBC make society a little bit
better by contributing back to the community. Clearly, the Open Source
movement and the doctrines it enshrines do not have much to do with
this.

Now, I don't want this to turn into a Free Software vs. Open Source
debate. I think one thing, other people may disagree. That's fine,
there's enough room on this list to co-exist. Also, Michael, you reply
was very useful, and I thank you for it.

However, I feel your comment unfairly painted a picture of me as
"being in the wrong" for explicitly making a "socio-political"
suggestion and then correcting someone when they misattributed my
intentions.

--
Noah Slater <http://www.bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman