> "I dislike the frothing-at-the-mouth ideology (to me, ideology should
> be something personal, not something you push on other people) and I
> think it's much more interesting to see how Open Source actually
> generates a better process for doing complex technology, than push the
> "freedom" angle and push an ideology."

The way I read this in the context of others things that Linus has said
is that the freedoms come out of the open source way of workings as
almost a side effect so we don't need to worry about freedoms as the
best software will be the software with the least restrictions on it,
and thus enhancing freedoms.

I agree that the best software is usually the freedom software, but I
don't believe that we don't need to care about this. The insidious ways
that freedom can be eroded are a constant threat and without someone
making a noise about these issues we will wake up one day and find them
all gone.

So it matters that the BBC is still using encumbered formats for its
listen again service, it matters that they are doing the same with the
iPlayer.

There is progress in that the real media formats have been reverse
engineered, and the flash formats are slowly being reversed. So soon we
will have open software to play these formats.

--
Stuart