-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Ian Smith (Irascian
Ltd)
Sent: 19 February 2008 14:17
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: RE: [backstage] HD-DVD / Blu Ray

Yup. Presumably, in this ridiculous "Must buy into the latest hype even if
the technology really isn't up to the job and it's totally impractical"
world we live in people will happily wait several hours after deciding they
want to watch a movie for their movie to download instead of just inserting
that "pre-2K bit of plastic" that starts up immediately.

Michael Bay famously declared that HD-DVD was introduced by Microsoft as a
deliberate spoiler to Blu-Ray to ensure failure of that format and eventual
success of the download high def format they were really after. Clearly the
ravings of a lunatic who hasn't enjoyed the "picture quality" of a broadcast
on a stuttering iPlayer on an 8MB broadband connection!

Ian
(happy to be fighting over a comb if the alternative is either watching
postage stamp sized movies on a phone or enjoying artefacting and poor
quality that is the Sky HD service).