From: James Northcott / Chief Systems <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 4 Mar 2008 21:45
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Gnash, Flash, Adobe, and cash
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Hello,

 My business partners and I are currently working on a Linux-based
application that requires Flash playback.

 Adobe has specifically excluded our application from bundling a Flash
player under the terms of their free distribution license, and our
efforts to negotiate some sort of paid licensing agreement have
stalled.  At this point, we are looking for alternatives, and it would
seem that helping Gnash would be a viable option for us.

 This leads me to ask the following questions:

 1.   What is stopping the Gnash team from fully implementing the
Flash 9 file format?  Where could we help the most?

 I understand there are some legal issues with those who have agreed
to the Adobe EULA making contributions to Gnash.  I'm also sure that
there are manpower issues, as well as funding issues.  I would
appreciate someone taking the time to explain where the largest issues
lie.  We have some programming resources available, although we have
no experience with the Gnash codebase at all, as well as a potentially
large number of sample Flash movies that play correctly in the Adobe
player but not in Gnash.

 2.   What kind of monetary investment would be necessary to
significantly speed up Gnash development?

 I realize that this may be a difficult question to answer, but we are
quite serious.  We were prepared to pay Adobe to license their player,
but this seems to have hit a dead end - could our contribution to
Gnash help speed up development, and if so, how large a contribution
would be required to overcome the blockers for Flash 9 support?

 We understand the open source model, and we are not interested in
owning the copyright or changing the license of the Gnash code.  We
are simply willing to pay to get Flash 9 playback in our product, if
this ends up being within our budget.

 I appreciate any feedback you have for me.

 James

Regards,
Dave
Personal opinion only, not the views of any employers.