cool stuff richard.

so how do/should we expose GUIDs to the outside world, in a sorta "Web" kind of
way? cause it's not enough to just generate unique IDs internally, we also have
to "broadcast" their, um, "meaning" to the world at large...

in other words, seems like you need the ID, some metadata to describe the thing
ID'd, and a publishing/broadcasting mechanism so that other people/systems know
you have info to communicate.

a la:

http://musicbrainz.org/artist/ba853904-ae25-4ebb-89d6-c44cfbd71bd2.html

sounds like the Web to me... and MusicBrainz, for instance, is an example of
all of the above, no?

but now, don't we need an EverythingBrainz (as a colleague of mine recently put
it)?

(BTW, i'm a person that feels that URLs, by definition, are GUIDs)

best--

--cs