I've been emailing Christopher off-list about this - I suspect it may
well be a reciever issue. Most of the services on mux 1 are coded in
London, and are the same across much of the country on DTT -- and I'm
not seeing any phase issues on our monitoring here, with a couple of
different set-top-boxes.

I've suggested that Christopher tries another reciever, or moves the
aerial to somewhere with better signal strength. (I don't know that
much about how the decoding process works, but perhaps someone more
fluent in DVB will know - is it possible that error correction and
recovery could be doing odd things to the sound in the event of low
signal strength?)

 - martin