On 06/03/2008, Steve Jolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Christopher Woods wrote:
> >> Can you give an exact channel, date and time when you
> >> observed the phenomenon?  (03:59 GMT last night on N24, perhaps?)
> >
> > Definitely. Observable on BBC2 last night/this morning (05/03/2008)
> during
> > the intro for "Spin" (03:44am). Also observable during the 60second
> > countdown buffer for N24 top of the hour (4am). I can send MPEG2 files
> if
> > you want (direct streamrip, advantage of having USB DTV receiver).
>
> I have access to DTT stream recordings. :-)  I took a look at the N24
> music you mentioned.  Listening to it, there's a very clear difference
> in the stereo characteristic of the sound between the (virtually mono)
> talking head segments on either side of the music, and a lesser
> difference between the music at the end of the special report and the
> N24 countdown in question.

I'm using a Vista Media Center with a double DTT card, and no matter which
card I use this always happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZr-588a5A8

There's a glitch at -27:00 - and the thing is that it's there every hour.
It matters not which DVB card I use (I've used Black Gold, a generic one and
the Hauupagge one I use now).

I've never complained about it because it doesn't happen on standard
Freeview boxes.   The wierd this is that when I record it and covert it to
MPEG to put on YouTube, it's there.

The sequence has changed many times and every time it does the audio and
video corrupt at -27:00.

Wired that.

Also, can we have the stereo back on News 24.  The music is great, but you
can't hear it properly.  I've got a fully digital-to-the-amp thing going on
with studio monitor speakers...  I want to hear David Lowe.

Converting the stereo to mid/side encoding and listening to the new
> channels separately, the side channel contains virtually no LF
> component, whereas the mid-channel contains plenty - you'd expect them
> to contain roughly the same amount if the signal had been subjected to a
> 90 degree phase offset, and you'd expect all the low frequencies to be
> concentrated in the side channel in the case of a 180 degree phase
> inversion.

Perhaps it could be bad decoding of the mono sound?

So at the moment, I don't see any evidence for an overall phase error,

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
http://www.ukfree.tv