You have to bear in mind that these 'journalists' are or start out as good
people wanting to do a good job. Their employers are driven by market
demand. So the pressure is to tailor output to market demand. Market demand
is us. All of us, en masse. That's the capitalist system. If you are unhappy
with the output of journalists you have to look at why they are (allegedly)
so crap at it. The answer is to overthrow the system, man!Cheers,
Ivan

On 3/13/08, vijay chopra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry, I was probably being overly broad in my use of the term
> "journalists" I was referring in the main to those that work of our so
> called newspapers (we did start with an article from the Gurniad). To be
> fair to them, the BBC are much better at actually reporting on the facts,
> even when they're at they're worst (such as the Panorama episode on wi-fi)
> they remain streaks ahead of the headline writers of Fleet Street, to whom
> the terms "fact checking" and "research" are bizarre things that other
> people do.
>
> Vijay.
>
> On 13/03/2008, Steve Jolly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > vijay chopra wrote:
> > > I'm sorry I just despair for the journalists in this country. In
> > theory
> > > they should be a paragon of virtue, holding authority to account,
> > > uncovering misdeeds and campaigning on behalf of the citizenry.
> > > Instead we get dumbing down and catering to the lowest common
> > > denominator; and then they wonder why they have falling circulation.
> > > The only dead tree press I buy now is Private Eye.
> >

> > You sure know how to make friends with people who work for the country's
> > largest news-gathering organisation. ;-)

> > -
> > Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe,
> > please visit
> > http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  Unofficial

Ivan Pope
Snipperoo