Unsure, I am not sure they are breaking the law. The BBC is a public
body and their are tight restrictions on what it can and can't do.
Thus it is more likely it is committing an offence under the law.

wrt content producers we should be less concerned with the law and more concerned with the intent.

Erm, I was talking about locking the MP4 stream to iPhone what has
this got to do with DRM now?

Because they content producers are the ones who have asked for their content to be "protected", however you decided to interpret that.

We only have the BBC's word that the content providers have forced
them to develop iPlayer this way.

There is a built-in detection mechanism. We can ask the content producers.

Phil