I'm glad to hear this.  It would certainly would be worth a trail.  As I
said before, I would much perfer BBC money going to British people who work
on the programmes (in PACT-companies and at the BBC too) than being spent on
Microsoft and DRM.

If the BBC published live stats about the viewing of programmings from the
iPlayer then it could all be in the open for some time and then PACT members
could work out how much money they would get.

Also, it would make sense for the companies to leave their content on the
iPlayer if they don't intend to reissue it (perhaps even if they do) if that
means a share of a BBC "net cake".

As I said before, the iPlayer should be a library, not a newsagent.

So, the proposal would be to:

a) Launch bbc.co.uk/iplayer/stats - showing live details of the viewing of
each item on the iPlayer and indicate what "share" of the pie this would
represent.

b) Also put up indicative "pie" amounts at the end of the month;

c) After a few months, have a month trail where the iPlayer is un-DRMed and
the content paid for as indicated above.

d) If the trial works, go for it.   Have the Flash system for UK use (as it
streams) and then have the iPlayer KDM version for "consumer" use and allow
all comers to build BitTorrent distribution networks.  As long as the
content isn't edited (in particular adverts) or charged for, anyone should
be able to distribute it with freedom.

e) If it doesn't work, then it's back to DRM snake oil.

--
Please email me back if you need any more help.

Brian Butterworth
http://www.ukfree.tv