In my humble opinion the hard part is not tracking what is served;
there is a request to a server after all. Tracking use beyond initial
download is much harder. An imposed structure wouldn't work I don't
think, nobody want to be spied on. But perhaps viewers could be
induced to share that information. Paying panelists could work; even a
pittance credited to (for example) PayPal might be enough. But
appealing to people's sense of community could work too. Some people
are passionate about their favorite TV shows.

An idea could be to use a player capable of pinging home with play
data the next time the device (or its host computer) is online. iTunes
tracks number of plays (both on computer and on each iPod) today
irrespective of whether media is FairPlay DRM'd or not. Does Apple
collect that? I have no idea, but I would not be surprised if they do.

Of course, anyone consolidating or datamining such data would want
more than a ping...