On 11/04/2008, David Woodhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 16:13 +0100, Peter Bowyer wrote:
>  > On 09/04/2008, David McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > > Dave Crossland wrote:
>  > >
>  > > > The BBC-vs-ISP bandwidth issue could be resolved by the BBC dropping
>  > > > DRM so that the ISPs can cache the data.
>  > >
>  > > The ISPs who are anticipating financial hardship are more concerned with
> the
>  > > cost of bandwidth between their network and home ADSL users, and _not_
> between
>  > > their network and the outside world.
>  > >
>  > > This is because they are charged a metered rate by BT for all the
> traffic they
>  > > relay over BT's ADSL network.
>  > >
>  > > Thus adding data caches to their network wouldn't solve their immediate
> problem.
>  >
>  > Indeed. But BTW could do it for the benefit of all of its resellers.
>

> It doesn't work like that. You have a pipe which runs all the way
>  through BT's network to your ISP. Even if the content in question were
>  somehow cached on a machine in your local exchange, that doesn't really
>  help because it doesn't see your IP traffic at all. Traffic from that
>  cache to you would go all the way out to your ISP and then back down
>  your pipe.

Yeah, I know how it works - 5 years in broadband OSS/BSS.....

I agree that the current L2TP architecture wouldn't support it, but
there's nothing stopping  BTW making it so if there was a business
case for it. In fact, since IPStream is a regulated product, the
industry could put forward a statement of requirements and have them
consider it. That would scale way better than each iddly-piddly
IPStream reseller doing the caching themselves.

Peter
--
Peter Bowyer
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]