On 15/04/2008, Jason Cartwright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Isn't this what Akamai are doing for the iPlayer content already?

Yes

> Doesn't
> get the content close enough to the consumer to solve the issues ISPs
> apparently have.

No - as has been pointed out several times here, it's the last-mile
(individual ADSL line) and second-last-mile (backhaul from DLE to the
ISP's network via BT's ATM network) that's the problem. BTW's
usage-based-charging model on IPStream makes it jolly expensive for
the ISP when the bandwidth utilisation goes up. Their business model
is based on an average utilisation which they see as under threat.

LLU operators have more flexibility because typically their backhaul
network is not accounted for on a usage-based model.

Again as has been mentioned before, these are financial issues not
technical ones.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer