On 15/04/2008, Peter Bowyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 15/04/2008, Jason Cartwright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Isn't this what Akamai are doing for the iPlayer content already?
>

> Yes
>

> > Doesn't
> > get the content close enough to the consumer to solve the issues ISPs
> > apparently have.
>

> No - as has been pointed out several times here, it's the last-mile
> (individual ADSL line)

You are saying that the capacity on each individual ADSL line here is the
problem?  I really don't see that.  The STATED problem is PAYING for the
PIPES to backbone from BT.  If this isn't the problem, then someone is
lying.

and second-last-mile (backhaul from DLE to the
> ISP's network via BT's ATM network) that's the problem. BTW's
> usage-based-charging model on IPStream makes it jolly expensive for
> the ISP when the bandwidth utilisation goes up. Their business model
> is based on an average utilisation which they see as under threat.

Ah, back to the BT-behaves-like-a-monopoly-issue.

LLU operators have more flexibility because typically their backhaul
> network is not accounted for on a usage-based model.
>
> Again as has been mentioned before, these are financial issues not
> technical ones.

Peter