I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't used outside the BBC, just that it
had a niche usage. Ulimately, that email (if I understood it correctly)
boiled down to
"we're standardising the layout of the BBC website, you may notice some
changes; check the attached pdf for details."
you could even make the argument that the word "standardising" is
superfluous, but I'm a big supporter of the plain english campaign,
http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/ *, so feel free to ignore my agenda.

*check out their "Drivel Defence" software:
http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/DrivelDefence.html for the really obsessive
;p.

regards,
Vijay.