Ok, I see what you mean.

Although:

- Web n Walk (it's on T-Mobile, right?) is £5 a month for "unlimited" internet.

- Google is a brand non-geeks trust - if they market it with Google search, Gmail, YouTube and Maps they're laughing. As Apple rightly surmised, people do want the lighter side of geek functionality, just not the headache of getting it to work.

I think most phones can do what the iPhone does anyway - they just make it so difficult people don't bother. My sister wanted an iPhone on the strength of its Facebook webapp alone, until I pointed out she could have similar access with her 3G-enabled Sony Ericsson and Opera mini.

I guess my point is that it's down to how well it works and how well they market it, natch.