Well, licensing refers to law, which governs the legal system, which
is still mostly effective in protecting privacy, determining
ownership, setting wrongs right, etc.

I'm not at all sure I would want a unique identifier, even biometric,
on any of my documents in this age of Google (which as far as I can
tell cares not a whit about anyone's privacy until threatened by
regulators). And if anyone imposed that on me, I'm sure I would want
to remove it, and moreover I'm sure it would be trivial to do so, and
perhaps trivial to spoof someone else's. Also, considering the large
number of computing devices I use every day (not to mention my phone,
digital camera, camcorder, audio recorder, etc all of which create
"documents"), I can't imagine spending time coding in a personal
identifier. I still don't know how to change the ring on my office
phone.

There has been progress in developing timestamping for pro video with
open standards and GPS + net synced timestamp but I don't know where
that is at these days.

A helpful start would be standardizing metadata fields for documents,
for example starting from the Dublin Core, then persuading proprietary
developers to actually index that data. Even mapping existing metadata
fields in containers (i.e. EXIF) to a standard set would be helpful.

All that said I understand the question but I would turn it around, e.g.:
"When, after waiting thirty years, will I and others, be able to truly
own our digital files on computers and over the internet? In other
words, claim ownership from the moment of creation. Is the solution to
'stamp' documents with unique identifiers? How could unambiguous
ownership be proven whilst respecting privacy and preventing forgery?"

I would add a question of my own:
"A technical solution could be imagined to the problem of ownership of
personal cloud data -- backup sync to a local machine. We do that with
our phone handset address books all the time and it's possible with
most webmail accounts, why can't we do it with all social networking
sites? For that to work, there needs to be a standard protocol/format.
What are SAS providers doing in that regard? Do they have any
incentive to do so, or do regulators have to step in?"

Sean.