2008/10/21 Ant Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Having said that, and my earlier point about low bit rates actually
> being better for reaching the audiences they're tyring to get to, the
> higher bit rates do exist.  If anyone in backstage would like to
> suggest something we could do with better quality streams at low cost
> (i.e. none!) then fire away!

The UK audience's bitrate doesn't need to be the same as for other areas,
and there are lots of different services worldwide...

*BUT* my DAB rescue plan:

- BBC given 'national commercial multiplex 2' on five-year loan
- BBC doubles up all it's DAB TX sites to do this mux
- BBC emits DAB+ version of all services -> boost audio quality for all
services
- Restricted national commercial bandwidth drives up DAB slot values
- BBC promotes upgrade to DAB+ for all existing users!
- After five years, BBC moves it's national mux to DAB+, returns com mux 2.
- Com Mux 2 for new DAB+ services
- Then Com Mux 1 moves to DAB+

Then the BBC can promote the "true CD quality DAB+ get it now" service,
people have five years to upgrade all their DAB sets.