Hi all - I have a blog post going out about this tomorrow. I pulled the
short straw to respond.

Essentially, the /go/ tracking system used by the BBC to track external
links is the cause of the change, as this is being implemented across
the Journalism sites for related links.

It changes the links in order to measure usage of external links. The
BBC Trust has asked us to do this.

We are adapting this to use some JavaScript to rewrite links so that
they look untouched, but when clicked use the /go/ system.

It's not pretty but it's the standard way to do it at BBC Towers, and
it's not unusual across many sites for them to use a similar method with
similar issues...

Martin's posts have covered off the history of this issue admirably...

Cheers,

 ::: John O'Donovan
 ::: Chief Architect, BBC FM&T Journalism
 ::: BBC Broadcast Centre
 ::: 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS
 ::: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 ::: http://www.bbc.co.uk