I agree, the iPlayer is just perfect, a true BBC triumph.
I've got myself a new Eee PC, the one with 12Gb of Flash storage, and XP.  I
can download hours of TV on the iPlayer download service and then I can
watch it, without the need for power for over 5 hours.  Long train journey
without power sockets or internet access?  No problem.

Just everything about the service is great, from the great URLs to the
picture quality - just great!

If there were a "long tail" of programmes, even if they are just "landmark"
ones this would make it better, but a full "archive" would be my aim (a
"library" rather than a "newsagent").

The interface is great!  I have a few ideas for updates though:

- access to the "pop out" radio player from the hope page radio icons, one
click to listen live!

- sort searches by date broadcast

- use of the bbc.co.uk account so that play history moves over machines and
logins (I have lots of PCs)

- UK regions on BBC One live player

- "Newswatch" on the iPlayer...

- More variety of channel idents

- BBC HD channel content on in 720 and 1080 line formats

- Faster encoding times, including pre-encoding so shows can be watched from
the moment they end, or even start (as with the old iMP)

- Automatic reminders about new epsiodes of shows you have already watched

- Download option for radio shows

- "Podcast" button for radio shows with podcasts

and..

- A "Science" category that omits farming programmes!

and of course

- death to DRM!

2008/12/9 Phil Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Hulu notwithstanding, I think iPlayer's easily the best experience for
> > professionally-produced content, and the ease and speed of use makes me
> > choose it over the illegal method mentioned above every time.
>
> +1. Using the 4 "watch online" is just a horrible experience whereas
> connecting my laptop to my (standard-def) telly and streaming in "high
> quality" mode takes seconds and is very very close to
> broadcast-quality (in my subjective and myopic eyes). I'm not in on
> Saturdays so I've been enjoying watching "Merlin" in exactly this way
> for the last few weeks now. And of course it remembers where you were
> if you need to stop and start again later.
>
> I love iPlayer. For me it's possibly worth the license fee on its own,
> and would definitely be that level of value if the radio shows were
> available for non-time-limited download!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
>  Unofficial list archive:

follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/briantist
web: http://www.ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover
advice, since 2002