Hi Frank, it appears that 3 don't really care about the device you're using
to tether with, as long as they get paid for the bandwidth you use.
I've used an unlocked (was originally on T-Mobile) N-Series phone with their
prepaid Mobile Broadband service for a while, and I haven't heard anything
at all from them, despite them supposedly sending SMSes to users of
non-3-supplied handsets.

Tyson.