As ever, the answer, and the future lies somewhere inbetween.
While 'bloggers can, and do pass opinion, and produce stories based on
primary news stories, they don't have the resources to become those primary
news sources.  The BBC, The Times, Reuters etc do have the resources.

There have been a couple of articles in the press recently which raise the
question of trust: Who do you trust more, an unaccountable 'blogger, or the
BBC?

Dave C will have you believe that a 'blogger is more trustworthy because
he's "free" - but he's unaccountable to anyone.  The whole concept of
unbiased reporting doesn't apply to 'bloggers.

The rise of "Citizen journalists" is probably unstoppable, but the decline
of real, accountable journalists has been massively overstated.

Cheers,

Rich.