From: owner-backst...@lists.bbc.co.uk on behalf of Phil Wilson
Sent: Sat 28/03/2009 13:39
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] Clay Shirky: Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable

Hi,

There's just two bits in John's last message I'd like to pick up:

"If you want a (quality) picture of an event, someone has to be there
and some poor pictures from a phone camera are not a replacement."

I think this is a false dilemma. Guys in my office have phones with
8MP cameras. My 18-month old phone has a 5MP camera. I suspect a good
lens and skill with photoshop is vastly more important than the
photographer being professional.

"If you feel that the Journalistic community is full of people trying
to subvert the truth, espousing mis-information, I dread the day that
a billion unaccountable blogs replace them."

This is also a false dilemma. Some in the "journalistic community" do
espouse mis-information. Some blogs are accountable. We are already,
to a certain extent, in that middle ground. Isn't that the point of
Clay's essay?

Cheers,

Phil