Ogg Theora is an excellent choice because it is not patent-encumbered
and has good metadata support (even if search engines and local
indexers like Spotlight neglect that metadata for now).

However, the Ogg container could just as well contain Dirac and in my
view the BBC is missing a major opportunity for goodwill by not
promoting Dirac. The shortcut to this is to talk with Adobe; they
quietly added Speex support to Flash 10 after all, and with Dirac
support in Flash, uptake would develop very quickly.

H.264/AAC uptake has been hampered by Microsoft's refusal to support
it these past six years; they seem to have deathly feared the
competition with Windows Media. They support it in the XBox though,
and in Windows 7 which may be out this year after all.

Opera doesn't need licences for Ogg Theora, Håkon Wium Lie their CTO
told me a year and a half ago they vastly prefer unencumbered web
standards. He repeated this when I saw him last week at a briefing on
the Microsoft browser tying case. Opera is probably another
opportunity to promote Dirac in mobile.

There is an Ogg Theora codec pack for Windows Media Player, but I
believe it cannot be pushed out silently and requires administrative
rights.

Sean